New Slate Digital ML-2 Small Diaphragm Modeling Microphone
The Slate ML-2 microphone features a similar linear and flat frequency response to its larger sibling and a side-mounted switch that pads the input circuit and repolarizes the capsule to increase headroom. Thanks to these features, the ML-2 can be utilized for both dynamic and condenser emulations on instruments without ever having to change the microphone's physical position.
When you purchase the Slate Digital ML-2, your virtual microphone locker will expand significantly. The microphone comes replete with 18 digital emulations of classic microphones that have been used in studios around the world. While no Slate mic pres are necessary for access to these modeling plug-ins, your experience can be enhanced when employing the VMS One Preamp or the VRS-8 eight channel interface.
Slate Digital tested a large number of mics during the development of the ML-2 and found that even the most expensive small-diaphragm microphone designs saturate when miking very loud, transient-rich sources like close miked drums. Therefore, the ML-2 features a proprietary “Dynamic” switch which attenuates the mic’s output and repolarizes the capsule, allowing the ML-2 to be used in extremely high SPL situations without overloading or saturating. As a result, it can be used just like a dynamic mic on drums, guitar cabs, and more.
- Microphone Bag
- Microphone Clip
- VMS ML-2 Software Card with Passcode
- VMC Classic Instruments
Virtual Mic Collection — Classic Instruments:
- S-57 VINTAGE: This model is a recreation of an early 80’s dynamic 57, perhaps one of the most famous dynamic microphones in audio history. It’s known for its punchy midrange and smooth top end, which is why it is a top choice on guitar and snare drums.
- S-57 MODERN: A brand new dynamic 57, this mic sounds very similar to the vintage model but with smoother mids and more sizzly highs.
- S-CUSTOM SNARE: This is a modified version of the S-57, with added curves from famous EQ’s to enhance the sound, producing the ultimate polished snare sound.
- S-222: This is a model of a famous small diaphragm tube mic. It’s bright but not harsh, with a smooth midrange and flat low end. It’s ideal for drum overheads, acoustic guitars, and string instruments.
- S-121 NORMAL: This is a cardioid model of the classic ribbon mic, and like the real thing, it has fat lows and slightly dark highs, making it perfect on horns, strings, room mics, guitar cabs, and overheads.
- S-121 DYNAMIC: The emulation is the same source microphone as the 121- NORMAL, only it has been optimized for use with the ML-2 when it’s in Dynamic mode. Use this model and the ML-2’s Dynamic mode when micing very loud sources.
- S-421: Another classic dynamic mic, this model is perfect on toms, kick, guitar cab, bass cab and horns. It has thick low mids and punchy lows.
- S-414 NORMAL: This is a model of one of the most famous FET large diaphragms mics. It has clear, punchy mids, slightly extended highs and a very fat low end. It’s perfect on overheads, guitar cabs, bass cabs, toms and horns.
- S-414 DYNAMIC: This emulation is the same as the S-414 NORMAL, only it has been optimized for use with the ML-2 when it’s in Dynamic mode. Use this model and the ML-2’s Dynamic mode when micing very loud sources.
- S-47F: This famous German FET microphone model is known for round highs, fat mids and huge low end. It’s a standard on kick drum and bass cab, but also sounds great on toms.
- S-67: This is actually a model of a large-diaphragm tube mic! It has smooth and slightly dark highs, thick mids and big lows. Great on room mics, overheads, toms, snares, basses and everything else!
- S-451: This is a model of a famous small diaphragm condenser that is smooth and clear, with a beautiful high end. It’s the great on snare, overheads, hi hat, toms and guitar cabs if paired with one of the dynamic models.
- S-7: This is a dynamic mic that became famous as a broadcasting microphone, but its present mids make it ideal for all sorts of instruments such as kick, toms, snare, guitars, bass and more.
- S-112: This is a model of a famous modern kick drum microphone. It has a classic “bouncy” mid-range and fat low end.
- S-12: This is a model of a vintage kick drum microphone. It has a crisp top, fat low mid and warm bottom end.
- S-CUSTOM TOM: This is a modified version of the S-421 that adds more highs and lows, and has less low mid, creating the ultimate tom sound for both rack and floor.
- S-CUSTOM KICK: This is a modified version of the S-12 that adds more attack and punch with less low mids and more defined lows.
- S-E20: This is a model of a dynamic microphone that became popular in the seventies. It has a very even frequency response, while remaining fat-sounding, so it can be useful on all sorts of different sources, from vocals and electric guitar to kick drum.
Minimum System Requirements:
- Quad core i5 processor
- 4GB of RAM
- macOS 10.9 or later
- Windows 7 & above
- iLok 2 or 3 required
SUPPORTED PLUG-IN FORMATS:
- Intel Mac 32-bit & 64-bit: VST2, VST3, AU, AAX
- Windows 32-bit & 64-bit: VST2, VST3, AAX