ILIO Hornberg Research hb1 MIDI Breath Station Controller - Opened Box
The hb1 MIDI Breath Station enables you to regulate any electronic instrument or peripheral device with MIDI or USB-port.
The special wooden mouth piece, a precision sensor and the combination of a MIDI-merger, an integrated MIDI-interface and the innovative parameters create the premise for a high precision and highly sensitive performance of your ideas, in studio or live.
Ten of the twelve parameters allow an adaption of various details and impulses in your music. For instance, the adjustable “Release” allows breathing in without a gap in the sound.The “Dynamic Attack” parameter allows for sensitive sound control, even in the finest pianissimo. In multi mode you can use up to four hb1 presets simultaneously and with this feature it is possible to control up to four MIDI CCs streams independently.
Realtime data reduction, Inversion and Limitation of the signal and, of course, Drive and Offset are all a part of the setting options. Each parameter can be saved in 25 presets. Additionally, the breath-data is displayed constantly on the Breath-Value Display.
- PRESETS - There are 25 presets that can be individually set according to your requirements.
- Drive Range: -10 - +10, Drive controls the sensitivity of the pressure sensor, i.e. you can adjust the hb1 to your breathing pressure. The larger the value, the more sensitively the hb1 will react to your breathing. If Drive 0 the pressure sensor unit will be switched off.
- Invert-Function: For a negative drive value, the output signal and the values of all parameters are inverted (except Pr, rd, CC and Ch). In principle, exhaling will turn into inhaling; in other words, exhaling decreases the output value while inhaling increases the output.
- OFFSET Range: 0 - 126, The base value starting point is set here prior to breathing into the mouthpiece. However, it is possible to fall below this value by breathing in.
ATTACK Range: 0 - 40, Attack determines the speed at which output data follows the pressure curve when pressure is increased. With breath controllers, it is often very difficult (particularly with brass instruments) to achieve a sensitive, controlled “crescendo”. The crescendo rises too quickly.
- To achieve smooth transitions, hb1 has been equipped with „dynamic“ attack parameter which is dependent on the drive parameter.
- The combination of Drive, Attack and Release form the basis for a sensitive musical performance.
- BOOST ATTACK Range: 0 - 5, The Boost Attack is achieved by blowing especially strongly which cancels the effect of the Attack-Parameter. Consequently, the end value can be reached immediately - even with a high Attack value.
- RELEASE Range: 0 - 40, Release regulates the decay time. Slowly decreasing pressure (decrescendo) along with breathing in seamlessly are particularly challenging technical functions for breath controllers. The Release parameter was developed to address this issue. Thanks to this parameter, it is no longer necessary to blow along with the decaying sound (release sample). Furthermore, you can use release as an effect parameter, e.g. as “auto-fade-out”.
- BOOST RELEASE Range: 0 - 5, The Boost Release is achieved by very strongly inhaling the air so as to cancel the effect of the Release-Parameter. Consequently, the null value can be reached immediately - even with a high Release Value.
- LIMIT Range: 1 - 127, Using the Limit function, you are able to set a maximum value (as the name suggests) that will not be exceeded.
DATA REDUCTION Range: 0 - 20
- The hb1 works generally at a maximum resolution (1ms). However, it is sometimes useful to reduce data (e.g. overloaded MIDI bus).
- Using the intelligent „reduction algorithm“ of the hb1 you can reach the upper limit without risk of losing important information and occurrence of artefacts.
- CONTROLLER Range: 0 - 127, All MIDI Continuous Controllers are supported.
- MIDI CHANNEL Range: 1 - 16, Use to set the MIDI channel for sending controller data.
- COMBINED PRESET Range: 1 - 25, With the parameter CP you can activate the "multi mode". You can use up to four hb1 presets simultaneously and with this feature it is possible to control up to four MIDI CCs streams independently, as if you were using four parallel hb1.
The hb1 approach is innovative and progresses far beyond the possibilities of a common breath controller. Through the integration of standard MIDI and USB-ports, the hb1 functions with or without a computer. The hb1 is hand-crafted in Germany with great attention to detail as well as with a focus on the aspect of sustainability.
Any keyboard (or a MIDI guitar, etc) can be connected by its MIDI OUT to hb1 over its MIDI IN. This means that the merged Midi data of the keyboard and the hb1 data are accessible on the MIDI OUT and USB OUT. The MIDI OUT of the hb1 can also be directly connected over the MIDI IN to a synthesizer or over the USB port of a computer. The hb1 provides an additional MIDI OUT 2 through its integrated USB MIDI-interface.
- Controller unit
- Pressure sensor unit
- Two mouthpieces, made of precious wood of the wild service tree
- One stainless steel tube with an adjustable air intake valve
- hb1 Neck Set
- Silicone hose
- 2 m sensor cable (4-pole)
- 1.8 m USB cable
- 5V USB power supply unit
- Cleaning swab for the mouthpiece
- Wool felt carrying case
Electrical supply: U=4,75V - 5,25V DC, I < 100mA
- Via USB interface or USB power supply (included)
- Connection via USB Model B socket
- Internal resolution: 1ms
- 1 x DIN-MIDI IN 31250 bit/s, 5mA
- 2 x DIN-MIDI OUT 31250 bit/s
- USB 2.0
- Connection for the pressure sensor unit
Minimum System Requirements for use with computer
- 1 x USB 2.0 Port
- Works with any standard operating system
- Recommendation: use current operating systems
- No driver installation necessary (Plug&Play)